People sometimes confuse the Haudh with the Kawthar, as the English translation for both is similar. In clearing this confusion, by the permission of Allaah, a number of differences and also some similarities between the Haudh and the Kawthar can be deduced.
Differences between the Haudh and Kawthar
- The Kawthar is a flowing river in Paradise, whereas the Haudh will be a pond on Earth
- Water will be channeled from the Kawthar to the Haudh
- The Kawthar is currently present in Paradise, whereas the Haudh will emerge upon the Earth on the Day of Resurrection
- The Kawthar is bigger than the Haudh, as water will be poured from it to the Haudh
- They are both for the Prophet (sal Allaahu alayhi wa sallam) and his true followers
- The water of both the Kawthar and Haudh is the same, from Paradise, as the water of the Haudh is channeled from the Kawthar,
The above points can be understood from the authentic Ahadeeth and also the words of the scholars. Shaykh Ibn Baz (may Allaah have Mercy upon him) was asked:
Question: What is the pond of Haudh, and what is the difference between it and the river of Kawthar?
It will be poured into this Haudh on the Day of Resurrection; the believers will be led to it from the Ummah of Muhammad