First about Reciting.
Imam al Ghazali has pointed out vital actions that a person should adhere to when he recites the Qur'an:
- Understanding the glorification of the literal words of Allah. (Be aware of what he is saying)
- Glorify the speaker (of the Qur'an)
- Being aware of and abandoning any inner thoughts or calls that are made by the self or other
- Thinking and pondering over the subject of the ayat being recited
- Knowing the meaning of the ayat being recited
- Avoiding the following: Too much concentration on the pronunciation of the letters to the detriment of understanding the ayat. Blind imitation of a school of thought ;Persistence in sin because of pride and slavery of passion
- Considering every part of the Qur'an being read is meant personally for the reciter
- Developing internal feelings hope and grief/fear of the message being recited from the Qur'an.
- Creating the impression that the reciter is hearing te literal words of Allah from Allah and not from himself.
- Avoiding any sense of reciter's ability and power by looking at himself with a feeling of satisfaction or purity above the words being recited.